The BMW R50 S was presented in 1955 as the successor to the R 51/3. This version featured good driveability and an overhauled design. The rear suspension used a swingarm with fully encapsulated damping spring, which made the rear part of the frame free from encumbrances giving the bike cleaner lines. The R50 was also one of the first models to be equipped with telescopic front forks. The frame was a tubular duplex cradle design and still had attachments for a sidecar, while the engine featured aluminium cylinder heads with cast iron cylinders.